Wednesday, March 19, 2014

This Book Is Full of Spiders

Title: This Book Is Full of Spiders
Author: David Wong
Pub Date: 2012
Genre: Horror Fiction
Nutshell: Really messed-up things happen. Again.

To get some housekeeping out of the way, I'm about 2/3 through Faulkner's Light in August. But the weather turned cold again and I cannot read Faulkner without it being warm. Plus it was getting to be a slog. So I'm still working on it, but in the meantime, I read this because I had it at work and I figured it would be fairly quick.

If you read John Dies at the End, then you'll have a flavor for what this book is like. I started it, but had to return it to the library and didn't ever get too far in. So this was more or less new for me. And overall, I liked it. It was very quick and I had a hard time putting it down. Oh, and it's gross, but it's also funny. It reminds me a lot of Shaun of the Dead that way, in that it's horrifying and gross but also funny and kind of sweet. 

Basic plot, there's two guys, John and Dave, who see things they shouldn't. Then these insecty things (some are spiderish, but some have lots of more legs than that) show up and all hell breaks loose. More or less. There are lots of guts and brains and explosions and violence and some that is funny and one part just honestly broke my heart because of who I am and what I love. I was not happy with that part, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

If you like Lovecraft and don't mind irreverence, I'd suggest this. It's amusing but manages to tap into that world that Lovecraft kind of pioneered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment