Friday, May 2, 2014

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Title: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)
Author: Mindy Kaling
Pub Date: 2011
Genre: Memoir
Nutshell: A very funny memoir from writer and comedian Mindy Kaling

I'll be honest: I've never seen anything Mindy Kaling has been in. I haven't seen one episode of the American version of The Office. I no longer have cable. TV is not really something I do anymore. But I had this weird job a few years ago wherein I basically had any random celebrity's face committed to memory, plus Mindy has been in the news recently for daring to be semi-famous and normal-sized. So I know who she is. And I'd heard this was funny, and I wanted something funny and easy to read that didn't suck. This fit the bill perfectly.

Mindy and I are the same age, so we remember some of the same things. Also, we are both nerds. She is funnier than me, though. But not so much funnier that I hate her. This book is basically a series of essays about random things. Some are about her childhood, some are about living in New York and Los Angeles and working on The Office and other life events. Some are lists or anecdotes about dating or friends. All are funny and well-written, and I laughed several times. I normally don't laugh when reading, so that's a compliment. As an author, she is personable, engaging, cute, and self-deprecating enough to be funny without becoming tragic. I recommend this for anyone who wants something non-taxing but still well-written and funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment