Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Inside Job

Title: Inside Job
Author: Connie Willis
Pub Date: 2005
Genre: Science Fiction, Novella
Nutshell: A confirmed skeptic investigates a channeler who may be more real than either of them realize

Finally, I finished something! 

I read a Connie Willis novel last year, To Say Nothing of the Dog, and rather enjoyed it. It was the second in a series, but she wrote well enough and explained things so that I didn't feel like I was missing too much by not having read the first. I mean to go back to the rest of the series some time, maybe for this project.

This particular work is a novella, right at 99 pages. It has nothing to do with time travel, but it has plenty to do with history and science fiction. As usual, Willis's writing flows pretty well, and with a work this short you don't get the dead spots that happened a few times with the longer novel. It might have ended a bit twee for my taste, but it was enjoyable and a thoroughly easy and pleasant read, which I needed after my recent slogs through books about cancer and Puritans. 

You don't have to be hardcore into science fiction to enjoy this, as long as you can maintain a fair suspension of disbelief. There's nothing about space or aliens or any kind of technobabble--just a benignly geeky fascination with a certain author (you'll see). I'd recommend it to anybody wanting a quick diversion that's well-written and amusing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment