Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Winds of Marble Arch: Weather Reports

Title: The Winds of Marble Arch (Weather Reports)
Author: Connie Willis
Pub Date: 2007
Genre: Science Fiction; Short Stories
Nutshell: The first set of stories in the collection, all having something to do with weather or natural phenomenon.

This collection is entirely too long to only count as one book, so I'm taking each chapter heading and reviewing that. Each section is about 100 pages or so, so I think it should be kosher. If I hit two short sections, I'll put them together.

This first set consisted of four stories: "The Winds of Marble Arch," "Blued Moon," "Just Like the Ones We Used to Know," and "Daisy, in the Sun." I'm not entirely sure which was my favorite. I liked the idea of the first story, wherein the main character keeps smelling these awful winds in certain Underground stations, but the ending was a mite twee. The last story definitely stuck with me the most, even though it was probably the weirdest. But in order:

"The Winds of Marble Arch": As stated above. The narrator gets hit by these awful blasts of wind that smell like death and burning and all sorts of unpleasantness in certain stations on the London Underground. His attempts to work out what's causing them form the main narrative. 

"Blued Moon": A funny one. It's mainly a riff on language and business speak, but also about luck and serendipity. 

"Just Like the Ones We Used to Know": A mysterious winter storm system hits on Christmas Eve. Sweet, in the holiday spirit. 

"Daisy, in the Sun": Teenage narrator Daisy is trapped in some kind of dream or hallucination where everything is cold and her surroundings keep changing. A mysterious boy whose full name she can't remember may have the answers. 

Four stories in very different styles. I liked them all, but I'm not sure if any of them was a major standout. On to the next few.

No comments:

Post a Comment